Mining Environmental Services
From Conceptual to Closure
We are proud of our track record of projects with mining industry clients in a range of regulatory and environmental contexts across Australia including coal, metalliferous, iron ore and mineral sand mining.
We are distinguished by our capacity to work closely with personnel at all levels, providing sound, practical guidance that supports enhanced environmental capability through all stages of a mining project, meeting statutory and operational needs, and providing for real improvements to environmental performance.
Mining Project Approvals
We are well respected for our outstanding skills in managing complex multidisciplinary environmental assessments for major mining projects, including numerous ventures with capital values of more than $500 million.
Our environmental assessment experience covers corporate and statutory requirements for all project planning and assessment phases from conceptual to pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, as well as detailed scoping, research and analysis of issues in environmental assessment documentation.
Mining Operational Support
Umwelt has skills, experience and resources to assist mining clients to achieve environmental objectives. Our services to support ongoing compliance and improvement include:
- environmental policies and strategic advice;
- exploration environmental management programs and pre-drilling site assessments;
- Environmental Management Systems (EMS) developed and implemented to meet ISO 14001;
- Environmental Management Plans (EMP) including construction environmental management;
- environmental risk assessments;
- impact mitigation strategies covering issues such as noise, dust, visual impacts and hydrocarbons;
- environmental monitoring programs and reporting to meet corporate and statutory requirements;
- water management engineering including hydrological modelling, sediment and erosion control and water management systems;
- subsidence management plans;
- environmental and cultural awareness training;
- environmental auditing; and
- environmental incident investigations.
Award winning closure management and rehabilitation
Umwelt has extensive experience in both closure planning and hands-on closure management in a range of regulatory and environmental contexts across Australia, for the coal, mineral sand, iron ore and metalliferous mining industries. We have prepared both mine closure and rehabilitation monitoring standards that are applied internationally. In 2006 Umwelt’s detailed planning and management of closure activities was awarded the inaugural NSW Minerals Council Environmental Excellence Award.
Our mine closure projects demonstrate our skills in final landform design, land use and landscape planning, as well as specific technical skills in soil remediation, surface water and groundwater management and habitat restoration. We assist our clients to understand, plan and deliver on their responsibilities for sustainable future site uses, regional environments and communities and managing stakeholder participation
Planning for Closure
Our up to date technical knowledge, sound project management and strong communication skills assist our clients to:
- develop corporate mine closure and rehabilitation standards;
- liaise with regulatory authorities about requirements and security bonds;
- develop mine closure objectives and closure acceptance criteria;
- prepare conceptual and detailed mine closure plans, including cost estimates for closure activities;
- deliver community involvement programs to determine stakeholder expectations and final land use options;
- prepare landform designs including visual impact and drainage density considerations and the design of water management and soil erosion control structures;
- evaluate closure options and risks and final land use alternatives;
- prepare detailed rehabilitation plans and advice including species selection, spoil and topsoil analysis and rehabilitation techniques; and
- develop post closure environmental monitoring and management strategies.