Umwelt offers the experience and insight gained from more than 4000 projects.
Umwelt’s growth and success is attributable to one key factor – our people! We invest highly in professional development and allow the opportunity for each employee to provide feedback in the direction of our business.
As experts in a variety of environmental disciplines, we are committed to collaborate in a workplace enabling inspired, innovative and cutting-edge solutions.
We have an excellent track record for successfully managing complex multidisciplinary and specialist studies for major strategic and development projects.
Although we have grown considerably over the last few years, Umwelt prides itself on the fact that we have been able to maintain a “small company feel” as well as a very positive and cooperative culture amongst our employees.
The advantage of choosing a career with Umwelt is best summarised by the feedback received at a recent staff development day:
- high ethics / morals / standards;
- diversity of work both in scale and complexity;
- good reputation;
- flexible work conditions;
- work opportunities at regional, state, national and international levels;
- supportive and friendly environment;
- good staff interaction at social events and use of on-site gym facilities;
- considerate leave entitlements (including parental leave); and
- access to Company Directors.
Title: Botanist (Two full-time, permanent positions available)
Location: Newcastle/Hunter Valley/NSW
Umwelt (Australia) Pty Limited is a leading consultancy that is committed to delivering high quality integrated environmental and social consulting services, tailored to the needs of our regional, national and international clients. We are committed to providing a workplace that enables inspired people and dedicated teams to achieve innovative and quality outcomes. Our large Ecology team provides services and advice for a wide range of ecological planning, assessment, management and monitoring projects as well as on-the-ground implementation actions to assist our clients to achieve biodiversity outcomes. We are at the leading edge of implementing new practices under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016.
Our biodiversity services are expanding in response to opportunity and demand and we are seeking two Botanists with a focus on vegetation community identification and mapping. The positions will work from our Newcastle (Teralba) Office, carrying out field-based surveys primarily in NSW and focused on the Hunter Valley / Lower North Coast / Western Slopes / Central Coast / Sydney Region. This work will include ecological investigations such as research, data compilation, fieldwork (local and remote), assessment, report writing and project co-ordination to a high standard. The successful applicants will be ‘self-starters’, with the willingness to complete field survey and ability to seek out relevant data and other information required for effective survey and reporting. The positions will focus on the survey, identification and mapping of ecological communities, including listed threatened ecological communities, and the successful candidates will clearly demonstrate experience in this area or a very strong aptitude for such. We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic Botanists who have:
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications in Sciences (Ecology, Botany, Environmental Science etc.);
- Ideally previous relevant working experience (1-5 years) in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and undertaking field work particularly flora survey and assessment;
- Good knowledge of the flora and vegetation types of NSW generally and the Hunter region and Lower North Coast / Central Coast / Sydney regions specifically;
- Strong understanding of State and Commonwealth environmental, biodiversity and ecological legislation and policy relevant to the NSW region;
- Good experience in managing and analysing environmental data using current decision support tools, e.g. GIS;
- Sound knowledge of and experience in implementing workplace health and safety requirements;
- Strong bush navigation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work within budget and meet deadlines;
- Sound working knowledge using MS office products;
- Excellent scientific, analytical writing skills for preparing reports and accurate data entry skills;
- Current Manual Driver’s Licence;
- Willingness to travel and work throughout NSW and elsewhere regularly and for periods of several weeks on occasion
- Previous environmental consulting / resources / infrastructure industry experience;
- Previous experience in collection of BioBanking data, its interrogation, entry into relevant calculators and interpretation of results;
- Previous experience in ecology impact assessment and ecology management reporting
- Experience working elsewhere in Australia, particularly ACT and/or Queensland or Western Australia.
So if you are a team player and you are looking to engage with a team of professionals that thrives on challenges, and have the ability to think laterally with a client, stakeholders and quality focus, we invite you to apply to join our team. An attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience will be negotiated. Further information about Umwelt can be found at www.umwelt.com.au. Please email your application addressing the ‘essential’ and ‘desirable’ criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application closes Wednesday 16 August 2017.