Wear It Purple Day
You may have noticed our social media accounts logos turned purple today...
That’s because here at Umwelt we celebrated Wear It Purple Day, August 26 🌈💜
Wear It Purple Day is an annual LGBTIQA+ awareness campaign that is all about celebrating LGBTIQA+ people and fostering supportive, safe, empowering and inclusive environments. It is a day for us to reflect and ensure that collectively we’re promoting a safe and inclusive environment for our team members, our clients and communities who are part of the LGBTIQA+ community.
Because everybody has the right to be proud of who they are.
Today we held a panel discussion facilitated by Jono Allan (Chief Operating Officer) featuring Barbara Crossley (Managing Director), Clay Law (Archaeologist and Cultural Heritage Consultant) and Malinda Facey (National Infrastructure Lead and Executive Manager).
The team chatted through:
- Unpacking the LGBTIQA+ acronym
- Their personal journeys and the 3 key things they’d like to share with our team
- How Umwelt can help create a welcoming environment for the LGBTQIA+ community both within and outside of the workplace
- Using gender neutral pronouns and why asking for pronouns is a respectful and inclusive practice
The panel held a captive audience as they shared their individual journeys. We were lucky to learn many things from this panel, but the key messages were:
- To be your best, you need to be you
- Workplaces need to be accepting and understanding
- Don't be complacent: be proactive in your support
Following this important conversation, some of the team enjoyed a morning tea to reflect on their learnings from the panel discussion.
The team had a fantastic morning, and we look forward to continuing to promote a safe and inclusive environment for our team members, our clients and communities who identify asare part of the LGBTQIA+ community.